Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Columbia - Part 3 - Cartagena My birthday


Sunday 2nd September
What a brilliant way to spend my birthday in a beautiful hot city with good friends. Had a massive sleep in for the first time all week. Got up about lunchtimeish and Charlene had a couple surprises for me! She had got me some pressies. I got:

A book mark
A mousemat with the map of Panama (i think)
A little musical instrument (which i promised to play all the time when Tom & I were in Venezuela)
A bag of worry dolls
Watermelon flavoured powder to mix with water

What a result. Tom also got me a lovely card. After the present opening it was time for pancakes. I love them! Unfortunately the instructions were in Spanish and I put too much mix in the bowl so Tom had to go out twice to get 1. more milk 2. more eggs whoops! And then we realised we didn't have any sugar or maple syrup. So with a bit of persuasion (yelling & shouting) Tom agreed to go get it for us. Well it was my birthday and I was in charge. Plus Charlene & I were in our pj's, rookie error getting dressed. The pancakes turned out so huge that we only had 3 between Charlene & I. Tom isn't a fan. It was then back to bed for another nap and then finally I managed to get up about 5pm to have a shower and get dressed for dinner. I was just about to walk into the lounge room when Charlene covered my eyes, upon opening them I saw balloons, a banner and cake with candles saying 36! Tom had remembered and brought them from home, what a legend. I always believe it's not your birthday until you blow out candles. It was great and set a lovely mood for the evening.

 We decided to go to the old castle and locate the boot statue we had been told about. And luckily for us we found it! Two massive boots, big enough to get in, so in we hopped. We wandered around the castle and then headed back to Cafe Del Mar to have a drink and watch the sunset before dinner. It was quite cloudy so it wasn't the best sunset but it was so lovely to sit there with the breeze blowing in off the ocean. 



For dinner we went to a lovely seafood restaurant in town and I have the most delicious prawns. After dinner we took a horse drawn carriage around the city, something I had wanted to do all week but the others were not so keen. Luckily it was still my birthday so I was in control. Turned out to be a lovely jaunt around, seeing the sights and waving at people. It was sad to think that it was our last night in Cartagena and the last with Charlene.

We had to head back to the flat to repack our rucksacks and get ready to leave in the morning. I managed to off load a bunch of stuff Charlene's mum had given me only to be given a bunch of stuff from Charlene to take back! Luckily it all fit in and in the process of packing we discovered that we had bought the same shoes! Obviously with my feet I had the 8's and she had the 5's. Great minds........

After packing it was time to hit the hay and get some sleep (as we hadn't slept enough he he he he).


Monday 3rd Sep
We were up and out of the house by 9am heading to the airport to go our separate ways. Charlene was heading to Bogota then Ecuador and we were heading to Caracas via Bogota. It was sad to say bye but she has so many exciting adventures in front of her, I can't wait to hear them all.

Tom & I managed to get all our flights to Caracas on time and we were getting ready for the final leg of our trip, a 40 min flight from Caracas to Barcelona................ DELAYED 6 hours!!! Can you believe it. We could have driven or gotten the bus there faster. Sitting around an airport for that long is not fun. Especially when South American's do not know how to make a cuppa tea. They pretty much take hot milk and add a teabag. Gross. Finally we got on our flight at midnight and we got to Barcelona by 2am. We were being picked up and as we had already rung they knew when to come get us. It was another hour to the lodge where we were staying, so by the time teeth were brushed and pj's were on it was 3.30am. I was not looking forward to getting up at 7am to organise our Amazon trek!

No comments: