Monday, 30 June 2008

Batter up!

What a great weekend! Had an early one on Friday night as had to get up early for the British Airways Softball Tournment on the weekend. I picked Liam up and we headed up to Heathrow. Four matches were scheduled for Saturday, can you believe it! I was expecting 2 maybe, bit worries as haven't played team sport in about 8 years!! Was hoping it would all come back to me. Met the rest of the team - The Mariners - and they were all extremely friendly.

First and second match I played catcher and got a couple of good hits. Oh my god, it's so hard running from base to base when all you've done in the past few years is NOTHING! Huffing and puffing I think I made it home once or twice. It felt good to have a mit on again and being part of team. Second match reckon I tried to sprint to fast as I felt something go in my left thigh. Did alot of stretching but it was super sore! After a nasty lunch of processed chicken (note to self bring own lunch for Sunday) we were back out there for the last two games of the day. It was a killer. I was in right outfield which was good but my leg was still struggling. Had a great time even though we only won the first match and lost the other 3. Two of the matches were tight but one was a bit of wash out. Left the field about 5ish for the journey home. Had also jarred my right thumb a bit so was a bit of a mess really but totally happy for having had a great time.

Once I was home though I think everything seized up! Luckily Ben got me a drink and I had ice packs on my thighs & finger. I was falling asleep in front of the telly so decided to head off for an early night. I could feel my face radiating heat, think I might have got a bit of sun.

Sunday morning, thighs felt better but thumb still a bit dodgy. Looked in the mirror at a bright red face! Didn't realise how strong the sun was yesterday so slathered on the aloe vera & sunscreen and it was back off to the field. We lost our first game by 3 I think which was a bummer but it was heaps of fun. I was back behind the mound as catcher. Some pretty dodgy throwing on my part back to John our pitcher. Whoops need to work on that. Also the wind was super strong both days, a long hit ball could freeze mid air and swing back the other way it was so strong. So after a long break we were in the Plate final (this is for teams who finish 4th, 5th & 6th). We won our first round robin match, whooo hooo! Very excited. And then after talking to the opposition decided to make our next game the final, otherwise we would have had to play the same team twice. Unfortunately we lost by 2! Bummer! But it was heaps of fun and had a great laugh and met heaps of new people which is the main thing! Got home about 6ish and was totally wiped out. A great weekend!! Bring on the next tournament.

No comments: