This weekend was the Bristol Wreck tournament. I was chatting to Krista on Thursday and asked if she wanted to play and she was keen. So I picked her up at Reading train station and we headed over to Bristol. Helen was going home to Poole but left her keys with Dina (who lives downstairs) and we were able to stay at hers. That was such a relief otherwise we would have had to camp and the weather wasn't looking too good.
Saturday morning we got up early and headed out to the sports ground for our 9am start. It was looking pretty grey with the clouds but I was told we played in the rain and only stopped if there was lighting as obviously we would be holding metal bats! I couldn't believe it. Anyway the rain started and we still played! We were playing for the Sharks this time as there were SUPPOSED to be only C & D division teams, as time wore on we noticed how many B grade teams were there!!! Anyway we didn't win and a team in the D division, Friendly Fire, needed extra girls as they were short. Krista & I volunteered so instead of playing 5 games, with an hour off in between each game we ended up playing 7 games on Saturday. All our Shark matches we lost! Whoops but had heaps of fun anyway, we mixed it up and everyone got to play different positions. Our games with the Fire's though were good, we actually won a couple.
After a tiring day (finished at 6pm) we trudged home. We were soooooooo lucky not to be camping as there was mud everywhere and I heard later that there was no hot water! When we got back to Helen's, Dina had cooked us dinner at her place so we just had to go down 2 floors and we were there. There was a huge disco at the campsite in one of the sports halls, so Krista & I headed over there after dinner. It was great laugh with plenty of drink (not for me as I was driving) and lots of cheesy dancing. Some people had been drinking all day and were still going! How they did it I don't know. At about midnight I was tired and we headed back to our warm comfy beds knowing we weren't playing until 10am the next day!
Sunday morning we woke up to brilliant sunshine! it was going to be a great day! Famous last words. Got a text from Mark (our pitcher) saying that Graham (who had pulled a hamstring) was in a lot of pain and they were going to have to take him home or to a hospital and couldn't play. That meant Mark, Pete, Graham & Ben had all pulled out of the tournament at 9.30am!!! Can you believe it. Why didn't he just got back to sleep at the hotel and the others could have come and finished the comp. We were stuck. Luckily Amanda (Our captain) managed to get 5 ringers to play for us as if you don't have equal numbers of boys & girls you can't play. And ofcourse the rain started up again. So basically we lost every game we played! Oh well it was heaps of fun, although very cold. Krista & I played for the Fire's again and apparently they finished 2nd! Obviously due to our skills. We didn't make the semi's with the Sharks so we were able to take off at 5ish and we were so tired after 11 games of softball and lots of walking in between pitches. A very quiet drive to Reading to drop Krista off and then it was straight home for me to hop in a warm shower.
Today my legs are sooooo stiff and I'm supposed to be playing softball with work tomorrow night! Hopefully they will loosen up a bit tonight.
And the worst news of all. I'm not sure if you will be able to believe it but........... I forgot my camera!!! NO PHOTOS. I am devastated. I couldn't believe it. And I when I took it to the pitch it was pouring with rain so didn't want to get it out. I think I might have 2 pics which I will up load later.
No comments:
Post a Comment