Friday, 7 September 2007

Charleston, South Carolina

Tuesday morning Fiona dropped me off at the Greyhound bus station for my trip down south. A late bus and a 4 hour trip and finally I have arrived in Charleston, South Carolina. I arrive at the only hostel in town (just on the outskirts of town) to be presented with a run down old house. I check in and everyone seems really friendly. Not happy that the toliets/showers are downstairs but oh well at $22 a night it's a bargain. I headed off for a walk and something to eat. Had a delicious Pad Thai at a restaurant called Basil. Deee licious! I had a quick wander around town then caught a bicycle taxi back to the hostel. (The pic on the left is of a typical house in the Battery area of town not my hostel! I wish).

An early morning and I had breakfast at a place called Hominy Grill. Fantastic, butter milk pancakes a must place to go for breakfast. I then got a horse drawn carriage ride around the historic old town. A very pleasant way to spend over an hour, then I cycled (i hired a bike from the hostel) to the wharf to catch my ferry. Well guess what..... I got a flat. Luckily though I made it in time and spent and hour & a half watching Charleston go by. After that I had to lug the bike to the repair shop, 5 blocks away in the heat. Once I was fixed up it was back to the Aquarium for a look around. I think I spent more time in the gift shop than looking at the actual exhibitions. A wander down to the south east peninnsula and I sat in the park for a couple of hours reading my book and eating pineapple! I then joined the local ghost tour walk. A fun 2 hours spent wandering around in the dark being told heaps of ghost stories. Unfortunately none popped out so I guess maybe next time. Then dinner at the reknown Poogan's Porch. I had some to die for crab cakes!!! Scrumdillyumptious!!!! Got back to the hostel about 11pm all hot and sweaty but pleased with myself for seeing so much. A well deserved rest.

This morning I was up early again, breakfast at the Hominy Grill, then a wander down King Street the major shopping drag. I found the best place! It's called Cupcake and they make up to 25 different flavours of cupcakes. I couldn't decide so bought 1 of each (there were 9 to choose from) and decided to bring them back to Wilmington for us all to try. Back onto the Greyhound and it was smooth sailing back up the coast until George Town, Sth Carolina. The bus broke down. Thank goodness there was a mechanic across the street and we were back on our way in a little over an hour. Now it's bed cause tomorrow we are all heading for NEW YORK!!!

p.s. It's nice not to have to share a room with 4 strangers (men & women) and not having to wear my thongs in the shower!!

No comments: