Friday, 7 December 2007

Question Time


On the BBC there is a tv show called Question Time. It's a discussion show debating the topical issues of the week with panelist's from different areas. Anyway Jamie had told me it was going to be filmed in Cambridge so I told Mila and we decided to apply for the audience. So you can imagine my surprise when they rang me on Monday to say I'd been accepted into the audience. I had to submit a question so luckily I rang Carrie and she gave me a great question about bullying in schools. Jamie was so jealous as he was supposed to be away this week so couldn't apply, unfortunately his work called him back and he has been around all week! He tried to reapply but sadly no. He had to live his dream thru me.

So Mila and I rocked up at the Corn Exchange Hall last night for the filming. It was a bit nerve racking at first. We all went in (about 150 of us) and sat down. Whilst they were doing their sound & lighting checks they need people to sit on the panel to simulate the real panelist's. Ofcourse I stuck my hand up and got picked. How exciting!!! I got to sit at the panel and thought I was only going to be saying test one, two. But no, they decided to have a little debate whilst we were waiting and started asking us questions!! Now I was exremely nervous, what if I sounded like an idiot.

First question was, if you were a superhero what power would you want & why? I said that I wouuld like to be invincible for obvious reasons. Then they asked us why society was lacking manners and who was to blame. I blamed the parents as I've seen the show, The Nanny. Got shot down by a couple of people in the audience, 0h well. Then we had a question about a bigwig police office who had been caught speeding, should he be made to resign. Apparently he is the preacher of anti speeding so you can imagine the uproar that has occurred. I nearly got into a fight with an old guy in the audience cause my opinon was,

1. He's not perfect, he made one mistake but what about all the good he has done. Are we so intolerant that we can't see past this one transgression

2. He should be punished with whatever fine anyone else would recieve

3. He has been embarrassed and humiliated enough that I think the punishment has fitted the crime

So after all that we got to go back our seats and we started. On our panel was:

1. Ken Clarke MP : Former Chancellor
2. Jamie Ruben : US Asst Secretary of State under President Clinton
3. Baroness Cathy Ashton: Lear of the House of Lords, Cabinet Minister
4. Simon Sebag Montefiore: Historian
5. Allison Pearson: Author and Daily Mail columnist

And ofcourse Dave Dimbleby who is the host. A variety of questions were asked and it was fasinating to listen to the debate go on. After about 4 questions the hour was finished and it was time to leave. It was fantastic even though I didn't get a change to ask my question. We then headed to my house thru the hoards of fans (obviously as we are D list celebrities now) and waited for the show to come on. It's filmed in the evening then shown the same night at 10.35pm. Jamie came over and was soooo jealous! he he he

I think we spotted ourselves 4 or 5 times and got so excited everytime we did. It was such a great laugh to rewatch what we had just been thru. A great time, definetly an experience!

No comments: